Seafood Recipes for Weight Loss: Healthy, Simple & Delicious
Hey you super fitness rock star, I have guidelines and some practical healthy recipes for weight loss all lined up for you right here. So get your iPhone shopping list out, copy and paste the ideas you love (and will actually make!) and get ready to be inspired.
First, I want to establish an overall outline for this round of weight loss foods. The standard American diet (SAD) is filled with refined carbs like bread products, rice, pasta, chips, cookies, sugary drinks and so on. These simple carbohydrates lack the good fiber that is found in complex carbs and basically do nothing for you other than leave you feeling hungry sooner than necessary.
And in addition if you have recently amped up your exercise routine, you will be burning energy at a higher rate. This is good of course but we need to make sure you are fueling with satisfying foods that will also impart a lasting slow release of energy.
What goes on the good list?
- Fiber for one. Fiber is a filler and keeps you feeling full.
- Whole grains, fruits and veggies are the guys we want.
- Next is a good dose of calcium and vitamin D. These two items are found in quality dairy products and have many beneficial side effects. From strengthening bones, to signaling the body that you are full. Organic yogurt, kefir, goat’s milk and real cheese as well as grass fed butter are all excellent choices.
- Next is our favorite category: fat! The good ones. Hopefully you have not been dragged into the hysteria of low-fat foods and know that monounsaturated fatty acids found in nuts, oils and avocados are extremely positive for your overall health.
- Now round out the list with lean proteins and lots of fresh water.
There are your weight loss guidelines.
As you have most likely seen, there are cooking shows galore, a new cook book or diet popping up every other week as well as every movie star jumping on the foodie bandwagon (thank you Eva Longoria and Sheryl Crow!). The nice thing is that a vast majority are focused on healthy recipes for weight loss. People are finally getting it. It is REALLY important what we put in our bodies. Ok, enough about that.
With no further ado, a few tasty little tidbits to get you and keep you looking your best. I’ve chosen four spectacular recipes to help you incorporate more seafood into your diet because most people are lacking in this category. These recipes are relatively simple, healthy and have a fun twist that will grab your taste buds.
Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche Salad
- Add lemon, lime and orange juice to cooked chopped shrimp; let sit a few minutes.
- Stir in diced red onion, cucumber, avocado and seeded tomatoes.
- Cilantro, salt and hot pepper finish this dish off with some punch!
Grilled Halibut with Peach & Pepper Salsa
- Prepare salsa first so it can marinate. Combine: peach, red peppers, green onions, lemon juice, fresh oregano, garlic, salt and a habanero pepper.
- Let fish sit in this sauce for about 15 minutes before you heat up the grill: lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cook fish. Top with salsa and serve. Delish! Make an extra serving for your lunch the next day.
- This is one healthy recipe for weight loss you will want to put in your mouth!
Seared Scallops with Tuscan Beans
- Cook scallops in olive oil. Set aside.
- Sauté onions, crushed red pepper and garlic. Add a splash of white wine.
- Next add some chicken broth and one can of cannellini (white) beans plus one small package of fresh baby spinach. Cook just till spinach wilts. Add a little fresh chopped basil as a garnish and enjoy with a side of garlic toast. Yum!
Fish Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Prepare sauce and set aside. Combine: green onions, fresh cilantro, mayo, sour cream, lime zest, minced garlic and salt.
- Bake you fish of choice (tilapia, red snapper, grouper) topped with a spice rub of cumin, coriander, paprika, red pepper, salt and garlic.
- Fill a warm corn tortilla with fish, some shredded cabbage and the cilantro sauce. Bon appetit!
- Combine the following ingredients: mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, green onions, minced red pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a can of pink salmon, an egg and panko bread crumbs.
- Shape into 3-inch patties.
- Heat in a medium skillet until browned.
- Serve with a dill, parsley and caper sauce.
And wallah! Some fantastic healthy recipes for weight loss to add to your menu of delicious easy meals.