Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
October 2013 marks the one-year anniversary of me switching to the ‘Paleo’ way of eating. It’s based on what our ancestors might have eaten in the Paleolithic era. I moved towards this pre-agricultural diet to help with health issues. From my research and trial and error with my body I found that eliminating grains, beans, dairy and sugar had some significant positive effects.
These are some of the best resources I found that I’d like to share.
Elaine Gottschall book: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
The original paleo web site: http://thepaleodiet.com/
The beginning of it all for me, a dentist and what his world travels lead to: http://www.westonaprice.org/
So enough with that! It was basically to explain why I have chosen to eat the foods that I do. Hope you enjoy the muffins.
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix wet ingredients: pumpkin, honey, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips (some chopped nuts are an option as well).
- Spray muffin tin (never waste using those paper liners). Makes 6 muffins.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 40 mins Serves: 6