Gingerbread without Wheat & Dairy
We all love treats especially during the holiday months when the cooler weather keeps us inside snuggled around the fire with friends and family. This recipe offers a gluten-free and dairy-free option to one of our favorites, the classic gingerbread. Decorating options could include frosting, dried fruit, gluten-free candy, melted chocolate, or chocolate chips.
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup palm shortening or unsalted butter
- ½ cup molasses
- 3 cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. coconut cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together all dry ingredients.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl until combined (or use a standing mixer).
- Add dry to wet. Dough will be stiff. Let the dough sit for 20 minutes before rolling out.
- Roll out to ¼” thick. After pressing with cookie cutters, use a knife to move cookies onto the baking sheet. If you’re having trouble with the dough try chilling it before rolling. If decorating with candies or dried fruit, add to cookies before putting in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack as soon as they are out of the oven. If decorating with chocolate chips, do so immediately. If decorating with melted chocolate or icing wait until they have cooled.
Makes: 2 dozen 3” gingerbread figures