Consciousness During the Holidays
Tips to ‘Green” Your Celebration and Give With More Meaning
There are so many ways to help make a difference in the world by helping the earth, animals and people less fortunate then ourselves. You can’t help but feel good when you are making a difference in someone’s or somethings life. We can all make small changes that reduce our impact on the planet during this time of the year. It’s all about choices. Nearly every holiday activity has a more environmentally sound alternative that doesn’t impose any additional cost or inconvenience.
- Use LED lights to decorate your tree. They use 90% less energy than conventional lights.
- After the holidays, look into recycling your tree. Over 10 million trees end up in landfills each year. Recycling services exist in many areas that turn Christmas trees into mulch or wood chips. Search your area at Earth911.
Holiday meals are an important part of the season. Take advantage of the family being together by starting new traditions that encourage sustainability.
- Look into environmentally friendly foods for your holiday meals. An organic or local turkey or ham to green your main course is a nice option. If that doesn’t seem feasible, try adding more vegetarian options to your dinner table and use local produce.
Give presents that spread awareness and help out environmental causes. Take a look at websites of some non-profits or your favorite charity. Make a donation on the behalf of your family and friends and let the gift support important global causes.
- Another option is to give practical green gifts. Encourage the ones you love to become more aware of their environmental footprint.
- Some ideas:
- Reusable shopping bags bottles Cloth napkins
- Natural ingredient candles or soaps
- Cork items for the home
- Organic cotton towels, kids clothes, t-shirts (we think Nirvana Mama is perfect for this
Show your children that the holidays aren’t only about only receiving toys and gifts, that the true joy lies in helping the planet and giving to those less fortunate themselves.
- When we can teach our children the value of service it sets the foundation for a lifetime of awareness, consciousness, giving, kindness and compassion.
- This holiday season, focus on environmental consciousness rather than consumption. Enjoy some new activities with your family and encourage vibrant discussion about the future of the environment.